Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Sparks of Memory

Today is Halloween.

Huh.

Used to be that meant something to me. It used to be that Halloween was a day to celebrate. A day that I had spent several weeks looking forward to and preparing for. Hours of work put into a costume, and then running around with family friends collecting candy.

Which we kids would spend the next week or so gorging ourselves on.

What did I do today? I slept late, both because I needed the sleep and because I didn't have class until late. Then I ate lunch abd went to class. Or rather, I didn't, because that class wasn't meeting today, but instead I met with my project group.

Then I came back, had dinner, and pretty much wasted my evening. No costume, no parties, and no candy. Instead, I spent some time mucking around and moving files from one webserver to another.

So much has changed, but for now, I simply sit and remember. All those children I used to run around with, I still remember them. I haven't seen or spoken to any of them in months. Many months, in some cases.

So what's the point here? Why am I rambling on about days long past? I'm reminding myself of the price of paid to become who and what I am. I'm reminding myself of what I've sent to the heavens as a burnt offering, the parts of me that are now only memories.

Because someone has to remember, and I can't let others do it for me.

No comments: