Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Rocket's Red Glare

Note: This is actually something I originally wrote on July 4, 2004. Fortunately, it's not time-sensitive, so a few minor changes, and here it is!

On the fourth of July, Independence Day, we are bid to celebrate our country, and our love for it. In other words, our patriotism. However, this also leads inevitably to an examination of what patriotism is. First, let us start with a strictly academic definition (from dictionary.com):
patriotism

\Pa"tri*ot*ism\, n. [Cf. F. patriotisme.] Love of country; devotion to the welfare of one's country; the virtues and actions of a patriot; the passion which inspires one to serve one's country. --Berkley.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.


Now, we must examine what this means. Let's take it bit by bit, breaking it up. The first two definitions are important, the other two less so, building on the first two.

1) Love of country
This is the most common definition. To love the country. Simple, almost overly so. You love America, you are considered by many a patriot. The problem is, love is a personal emotion. As such, it does not scale to an entire nation, and tends to be attached to figureheads. People tend to confuse love of country with support for a given leader. Now, remember this: the leader is not the country. Whoever it happens to be represents the country, but is not the country. Yes, they are in charge. Yes, they are the leader. But the leader is not the led, only the figurehead.
(Note carefully the gender-neutrality)

2) Devotion to the welfare of one’s country
Now, here we have a more important definition. Simply loving ones country is not enough. You have to want what is best for it. Remember that this may not be popular, but right and popular are frequently at odds. However, problems arise when one tries to define what exactly is best for the country. Is going to war good for the country? If it is sufficiently large, it will help the economy. However, what of the families of those lost? Is the war to protect something important, like freedom, or an ally? Or is it a distraction, a PR ploy? Both have been known to happen in the past.

This line of thought raises another important question: what is freedom? Well, I doubt there is a complete answer, but I can try. Freedom is an ideal, a concept, so important that its true believers will go to any length to defend it for the sake of others. Not for themselves, but for others. A person who will fight censorship, not because it affects them, but because it has affected someone, is fighting for freedom. A person who fight discrimination, not because it is hurting them, but because it is hurting someone, is fighting for freedom of a different sort. Sometimes, the defense of freedom even calls for our men and women in uniform to go and defend it by force of arms. It is one thing to strike back when attacked by a clear enemy, or even to strike at a clear and present threat. It is a second thing to defend our allies against the same, as they would defend us. These are good and true. However, it is something altogether different to take away freedoms in the name of protecting them. For example, it is neither good nor true to take away beloved freedoms like speech in the name of protecting the country, like was done long ago with the Sedition Act. Such a travesty has no justification, not in this country.

If someone disagrees with the leadership of this country, it is their right to voice it. If you really know what freedom is, you will, at the least, not stand in their way. Even, perhaps especially, if you disagree with it. To know freedom is to love it, and to love it is to wish to protect it. You, who would perhaps dispute this, are you really disagreeing with the ideas? Or more with the politics that have likely slipped in, despite my attempts to try and keep them out?

It is said that our freedom is defended with four boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, the soap box, and the cartridge box. I am using one right now. In November, I will use another. If I am called to do so, I will use a third. As for the fourth, let me say this: if a foreign army were to invade this country, they would pay for each inch of soil ten times over in blood. And while I may not be one of those exacting the bloodprice, be certain that I would be defending our nation just as much, in my own way. My blood, my pride, and all that I hold dear would demand nothing less.

I am a patriot. No, I do not personally agree with much of what the leadership does, but this does not make me any less of one. I love my country, and I will do all that is within my power to defend those freedoms that I hold dear. It is said that eternal vigilance is the price of liberty, and truer words have rarely, if ever, been spoken.

I am an American, and a patriot. Defy me if you will, but recall my words.

No comments: